Northern Nigerian Breaking News

75-year-old woman sets son, daughter-in-law, grandchildren ablaze

75-year-old grandmother, Iforiti Oloro, has allegedly set her son, daughter-law, and grandchildren blaze in Ondo State.

The tragedy occurred at Aponmu, a suburb of Akure, Ondo’s capital city, at the weekend.

The septuagenarian living in the same compound with her son was accused of having woken up in the middle of the night and allegedly set the house on fire while the family was asleep.

A resident in the community, Bayo Adegboyega, who spoke to The Gazette, confirmed the incident.

Mr Adegboyega explained that the residents noticed the family’s house was on fire on Saturday.

elsamad new

“We noticed that the building was on fire around 2:00 a.m., and all the family members were at home,” he told The Gazette. “I had to join neighbours close to the building in putting off the fire by breaking the windows to gain entry.”

Mr Adegboyega added, “Sadly, by the time we entered, the man (Victor Oloro), his wife (Racheal), and two children ( Toluwani and Blessing) had been affected by the fire.”

Read Also:NSCDC arrests fake currency syndicates, confiscates $64,800

He also mentioned that the burnt family members were taken to a state hospital in Akure but were rejected due to the degrees of burns suffered from the fire incident.

“So, we rushed them to the Federal Medical Centre in Owo, but unfortunately, we lost the last born on arrival while on Sunday night, the man and his wife died. Only the firstborn is alive but in a critical condition,” Mr Adegboyega added.

While describing the incident as “bizarre and shocking,” Mr Adegboyega said the residents later learned that the grandmother allegedly set the building on fire.

“It was yesterday (Monday) that we got to know that the old woman got some dry palm fronds and the little petrol her son kept in a gallon, spread it around the house, and set the house on fire,” the resident claimed. “While confessing, the woman said she set the house on fire because her son and his wife were allegedly starving her of food.”

Police spokesman Funmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya confirmed the incident when contacted on Tuesday morning . She, however, said that the divisional police officer in the community was still awaiting the details of the incident.

“I’m still awaiting full details of the incident from the DPO in charge of the area. So, I would advise you to give me more time to gather the facts,” the police officer explained.

It was gathered that the septuagenarian had attempted to die by suicide by jumping into a well located at the house’s entrance but was rescued by community members.

Comments are closed.