Northern Nigerian Breaking News

INEC reprimands official who issued Withdrawal letter on Kano governorship appeal

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has denied withdrawing from the appeal process in the ongoing Kano Governorship election petition case.

A statement issued by the National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee of INEC, Mr Sam Olumekun, confirmed the development, on Saturday night.

SOLACEBASE had earlier reported that INEC signified its stand not to participate in the appeal against the Kano Governorship Election Petition Tribunal judgment sacking Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP).

The commission in a letter dated October 6, and signed by the Head of Legal Department, INEC Kano, Suleiman Alkali, said the electoral body withdrew its appeal as it had no reason to appeal any judgment.

Subsequently in an interview with SOLACEBASE, Suleiman Alkali, late on Friday night backtracked saying the letter was wrongly issued and sent to the tribunal.

elsamad new

He affirmed that the commission will continue with the appeal

Similarly, INEC headquarters in the statement signed by Mr Olumekun, said that the letter was not authorised.

“We wish to state categorically that the letter was not authorised. It has since been withdrawn and the officer reprimanded.

“The public is therefore advised to discountenance the insinuation that the Commission has withdrawn from the case or even worse abandoned the appeal,” the statement said.

The statement said that where litigants join INEC in a case, the commission is under obligation to respond accordingly.

It said, “We have therefore instructed our lawyers to proceed in line with extant policy of the Commission. The policy has not changed.”

Comments are closed.