VIDEO: APC Secretary , Senator Akpanudoedehe returns to party secretariat amid resignation report
Its like the storm is temporarily over at the All Progressive Congress APC headquarters in Abuja as the ‘’ Palace coup” orchestrated against Chairman of the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee, Governor Mai Mala Buni, seem to have failed.
This indication emerged with the absence of Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello and the reappearance of Senator John James Akpanudoedehe, Secretary of the committee, who immediately after resuming on Tuesday, issued a press statement.
Governor Abubakar Sani Bello has been presiding over affairs at the party headquarters since last Monday with the support of the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai .
El-Rufai in a recent interview said Mai Mala Buni who is for medical treatment would only return to the country as Yobe State Governor.
Also, the committee’s Secretary Senator who in a state of confusion at the party was said to have resigned though he denied the story resurfaced at the party headquarters on Tuesday.
However, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) failed to acknowledge the leadership of Abubakar Sani Bello, forcing APC stakeholders to retract their steps..
PRESS RELEASE BY THE CARETAKER/ EXTRAORDINARY CONVENTION PLANNING COMMITTEE (CECPC) OF THE ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS (APC) ON RECENT EVENTS AND THE STATE OF LEADERSHIP IN THE PARTY
Gentlemen and Ladies of the Press,
The Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) under the Chairmanship of His Excellency, Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State, makes this Press Release to clarify the events of last week and reassure the membership and stakeholders of the Party, as well as the Nigerian people in general, that the Governing Party is crisis-free, strong and remains united in giving the country the transformative leadership and good governance which she promised them.
The CECPC therefore informs the Press and the General Public as follows:
- That the CECPC was appointed, and has always done her best, to steer the affairs of the APC in line with the mandate invested in her at inauguration by the National Executive Council (NEC) of the All Progressives Congress.
- That on the 28th day of February, 2022 the CECPC Chairman took a long-delayed trip abroad on health grounds, leaving behind written authorisation for other members of the CECPC to continue work in his absence, particularly the day to day management of the APC.
- That in his absence, sundry activities earlier scheduled for action appeared to develop fresh urgency in order to satisfy the Timetable for the 2023 General Elections released by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), thus galvanizing some within the CECPC to act in their best understanding of both the situation and the leadership dynamics in the Committee/Party.
- That all such actions were clearly identified at all times as happening in an acting or proxy capacity, and under the auspices of the substantive Chairman, His Excellency, Governor Mai Mala Buni, contrary to widespread speculations that the Chairman, Secretary or some other officials of the CECPC have been removed from Office or otherwise replaced.
- That the CECPC is intact and functional as originally constituted.
- That delivering a seamlessly successful National Convention for the APC on March 26, 2022 is top on priority for the CECPC and we shall continue to execute such assignments as are legal pending the return of the Chairman who is on his way back to the country and shall resume Office on arrival with the full support of all members and other stakeholders.
We are grateful to INEC for her firm guidance in the entire circumstances.
Meanwhile, the party has engaged a team of senior lawyers to address a purported court order halting the planned APC National Convention. We hereby call on the Judiciary to give the matter the needed and expedient attention in our bid to vacate the purported Court order and allow for the conduct of a transparent and rancour-free National Convention deserving of our great party, APC.
The Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) hereby restates absolute loyalty to the APC, thanks the National Organs and leadership of our Party led by His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and reassures our members and citizens that the Party is stronger than ever before and poised to extend her winning streak since 2015 into 2023 and beyond.
Ladies and gentlemen of the 4th Estate of the Realm, we thank you.
Sen. John James Akpanudoedehe Ph.D
APC Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee
15th March, 2022