Obaseki sacks deputy gov’s media aides
The face-off between Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State and his Deputy, Philip Shaibu, is gradually assuming another dimension with the disbandment of the media crew attached to his Office.
Recall that members of the media crew of the embattled deputy governor were walked out of the venue of the 60th-anniversary celebration of the Midwest Referendum Monday morning by security operatives attached to the office of the Governor.
Efforts by the Deputy Governor to make sure they remained in the venue were rebuffed by security operatives who said they were working on “instruction from above.”
Shaibu was heard in a viral video, saying he could not be in an event where his media crew is barred. He subsequently stormed out of the venue.
A member of the media crew said they were already at work inside the hall when the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Andrew Okungbowa, and the Public Relations Officer, Office of the Governor, Ms. Osarumwense Margaret Ojo, identified the crew members one after the other before security men of the Governor walked them out of the venue.
A statement signed by the State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Osa Nehikhare, Monday night said the government has directed the “Deputy Governor to henceforth request the Ministry of Communication and Orientation for media coverage of activities of his office.”
The statement added: “This directive followed the ugly and unfortunate incident that happened during the colloquium held to mark the 60th anniversary of the Midwest Referendum celebration held at the Sir Victor Uwaifo Creative Hub and Soundstage, where some journalists, who claimed to be the media crew of the Deputy Governor, attempted to force their way into the hall where the governor and other invited dignitaries were already seated.
“This act was contrary to the accredited protocol that had been established for the media coverage of the event. The orchestrated and stage-managed walkout and disruption is highly regrettable.”